Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Purple Periwinkles

I saw ‘isam’ turn purple,
Then they turned brown, and then they die:
Sea food loved by many people
I did nothing, but just a sigh!

How could I have done a thing?
The likes of Ken Saro-Wiwa
Where sacrificed like a fling
On spines of politics’ pillar.

Stinking spines that polluted_
A great region and a people;
Displayed a calculated_
Strike, to subvert and topple.

For the kill was aimed to crush_
The goose that bears the golden egg.
To silence any push
That question’s government’s blue peg.

I saw ‘isam’ turn purple,
Stained by oil and gas pollution;
Sea food loved by Rivers people
Now experiencing starvation.

Source of income for the poor
Picked by fishermen for their trade,
And as edibles for the coeur
That roofed the creeks’ floor in parade.

Now with poor infrastructure
They strive to make a living;
With hunger, anger, no-future,
They worry: ‘Their land’s dying!

I saw ‘isam’ turn purple,
Then they turned brown, and then they die.
Sea food loved by many people
Can’t I do stuff? Can’t I ask why?

A sick, vile environment
For young and old, strong and weak:
Even with enlightenment
Badly polluted is their pride - their creek.

Yet politicians are still blind_
To the truth, that they are called:
A calling to manage mind,
Resources, wealth, and not go bald.

Baldness of theft and hatred
Of myopic vision for growth
Of their loud speeches – stated_
That money is worth more than life.

See, ‘isam’ still turns purple,
Then they turn brown, and then they die:
Those sea foods so loved by people;
Perhaps I’d do more than a sigh.

Other than a sigh, here’s solemn my cry!


_D. D. Ogan [15.06.2016] 15:15

*isam:   Periwinkle
*coeur: A friendly and approachable neighborhood food, wine (kaikai) and craft beer (tombo)


No comments:

Post a Comment